Tallahassee, FL asked in DUI / DWI for Florida

Q: Will a DUI increase my auto insurance rates?

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

Terrence H Thorgaard

  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Quite likely.

Paul Stanko

  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • South Bend, IN

A: Absolutely, and drastically so. After conviction, you will need to carry SR-22 high risk insurance.

Thomas Hudson

  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Sarasota, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: In Florida, car insurance is a buyer's market. You may pay more for insurance after a dui, but you should be able to find it. The real problem is that a DUI conviction requires that you maintain $100,000/$300,000 in liability insurance, which is more than a lot of people have.

Normally, Florida doesn't require any bodily injury liability insurance, but merely requires that every driver carry no-fault, or PIP (Personal Injury Protection) Insurance. However, if you're convicted of DUI, the Florida lawmakers have decided that they want to make sure that you are financially responsible (the FR of FR-44 is "financial responsibility.")

The FR-44 form is merely a piece of paper which states that you have a non-cancellable insurance policy with at least $100,000 in bodily injury liability limits. The form is cheap ($15) but the insurance is not. That's because, in order to make it non-cancellable, the policy has to be paid for in advance--usually six months at a time. Obviously, that is a financial burden that many people cannot pay.

Florida statutes require that anyone convicted of DUI maintain FR-44 insurance for a period of three years from the date that their license revocation ends. Normally, your insurance company will submit the FR-44 form electronically to the Florida Bureau of Financial Responsibility within 15 days of issuing your policy. The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles will not reinstate your driving privileges until they receive the form by email.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.