Torrance, CA asked in Business Law and Small Claims for Oregon

Q: Being sued personally in small claims court for work done by our S-Corp. Are we liable?

Customer filed with Builders board and was denied as claim was over a year old. Now have filed small claim against us personally. Do they even have a case if not filed in the Corp name? Does our corp bond play into this at all? We have 'demanded a hearing' to avoid a default judgment. What happens if we present our case but lose?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Howard Alan Newman MBA
Howard Alan Newman MBA
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Based on the facts as presented, the S-corp appears to be an improper party. Accordingly, prior to the hearing, I would demand from the plaintiff voluntary dismissal of the action. In fact, I might even attempt to move the hearing date for, inter alia, to give the plaintiff more time to consider the consequences of not dismissing the S-corp. Then, if the plaintiff does not voluntarily dismiss, at the hearing, I would request sanctions (at least from the court's inherent authority). Frankly, in my career, I have had extremely limited experience in small claims court (though I did have one case in Oregon that I moved to the circuit court) and typically, sanctions can be difficult to obtain and perhaps even more so from a small claims court. However, if a suit is patently frivolous (filing or maintaining suit against the wrong party would be one such example of frivolity), a party, even pro se, should be appropriately sanctioned.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.