Lancaster, PA asked in Education Law and Public Benefits for Pennsylvania

Q: Do I need a lawyer for a school board hearing to expel my 16 year old son?

He is being charged with distribution of a controlled substance because he sent a text message asking another student about money he had owed. The principal said the messages do not say what it is for but after he took my son in a room and questioned him that my son confessed and wrote a statement confessing it was for marijuana. I am at a lost of what to do or who to contact.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Contact the education law center in philadelphia.They have "cooperating attorneys" who know Pennsylvania Education law. Worth having legal counsel if they are looking for expulsion. In the meantime very important your son doesn't say anything on text, social media, in the hallway, not to the guy he supposedly sold anything too. You likewise. Talk to a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.