Los Angeles, CA asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Pennsylvania

Q: The deed on my parents' house reads "John Doe and Jane Doe, Husband & Wife." How to get new deed after death of one?

My Dad had a will but everything is left to Mom. No probate is necessary for any other assets, as almost everything was owned jointly. How do we get a new deed in Mom's name only? York County recorder has no info about this on their website. Thanks!

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Evan Charles Pappas

  • Lemoyne, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: This could be handled by recording a new deed in the name of Mom only. In the deed we would explain why the deed is being re-recorded. This would be an inexpensive project.

1 user found this answer helpful

Mark Scoblionko

  • Allentown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: I assume that your father died. If so, based on what you said, a new deed is not necessary.

Since the deed referenced their ownership as "husband and wife," it means that they owned it as "tenants by the entireties," as a matter of law. That confers automatic rights of survivorship to your mother. Thus, she already owns the property by survivorship and a new deed is not necessary.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.