Chesapeake, VA asked in Small Claims for Virginia

Q: I lent my vehicle to a friend and it overheated and he blew the engine. is he responsible for the repairs?

He drove it from Chincoteague VA to Hagerstown MD and on his way back he glanced at the gauges and saw that the car was overheating and he continued to drive it to the next exit and drove it till it quit running. I had to rent a u-Haul trailer and with my other SUV I had to tow it to a garage near me.

It is going to cost me $2847.00 for a used Engine and it cost me $200.00 for gas and the trailer.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Andrew T. Bodoh Esq.
Mr. Andrew T. Bodoh Esq.
  • Richmond, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: There are claims you can bring against him to try to recover the money. The simplest way would be a lawsuit in the local general district court or small claims court. You could hire an attorney, but you would not recover your attorney fees from the opposing party as part of the claim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.