Mechanicsburg, PA asked in Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania

Q: What steps do I need to take to get a false mechanics lien removed?

A contractor hired to do a renovation once paid in full and not complete vacated the property we have pictures, video, and testimony of how the work was left and what we are still trying to complete to finish the project. We since then found out 1 he isnt a licensed contractor and 2 he put a mechanics lien claim on 11/21/16 served to us 12/2/16 in the evening. We are so baffled at how someone could walk in and give information and put a lien on a house for $48,000 with false statements, with no proof and also without the work being complete and what was complete done so poorly it had to be redone.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Evan Charles Pappas

  • Lemoyne, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You may need to initiate a court proceeding to have the court determine that the lien was not justified. This case could also include claims related to the defective quality or workmanship and seek damages for this as well. In addition to the obvious concerns you mentioned, there are strict notice and procedural requirements that apply to lien filings that may not have been satisfied. This could provide additional basis to remove the lien. In order to accomplish this process, you may need to hire an attorney well versed in construction/real estate law and, at the time of filing (or shortly thereafter) may need to post a bond in the amount (or double of the amount) of the lien. Depending on the facts, and only in extremely egregious circumstances, it might be a slander on title, which could provide you with additional damages.

As with every legal problem, the specific facts surrounding the issue bear heavily on how it will be determined. This response is intended for informational purposes only, is not to be considered legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Mark Scoblionko

  • Allentown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You need to promptly hire a lawyer and have him demand that the lien be removed. If it is not, the lawyer can then move to strike it and, if appropriate, thereafter sue the person for malicious abuse of process. If you are successful with that claim, you may be able to recover your costs and counsel fees, as well as other damages.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.