Clifton, NJ asked in Criminal Law, Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for New Jersey

Q: Can I sue someone for documenting false information about me in a client's chart in an electronic medical record?

My supervisee documented that I was with a client at a specific time when in fact I was not. The note also indicated additional false information. I will be contacting the licensing board but want to know if I can sue her personally.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: I'm not hearing there was harm. Sue her for what? I don't see it. If the person wrote the record incorrectly, then ask for it to be corrected--through a union rep if you have one. Getting into suing staff gives you a reputation that in the healthcare industry can lead to your having problems finding any position. Don't get into it on social media either. Check with a union rep. If there isn't one, contact a member of NJ Assn for Justice who handles employment issues--they represent only employees and give free consults.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.