Columbia, TN asked in Criminal Law, Divorce and Military Law for Tennessee

Q: I'm British, I married into the air force in the UK. 20 years later we got divorced in WV. He tricked me out of my share

Of the retirement. I know that the retirement was protected and he should not have been able to take it from me, we signed papers on base with the military lawyer when he retired that stated that.

There is a whole lot more to the situation but i need a lawyer who can sort this out!

Where do i turn? Most lawyers who know about these things cost more per hour than i get paid in a week. I need help.

1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard Robert Grefseng
Leonard Robert Grefseng
  • Columbia, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You don't say in your question- but when was the divorce? Fraud ( misrepresentation) can be grounds for setting aside a court order, but there are strict time limits. Many lawyers offer a free initial consultation. You definitely need a lawyer, talk to more than one. This is not something you can do by yourself. It sounds like you didn't have a lawyer at the time of the divorce- don't make the same mistake again.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.