Edgemont, PA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Pennsylvania

Q: Is filing papers the only thing I can do?

My 3 children have always lived with me my ex didn't want any visits or anything until last week he picked them up from their school without my authorization and now will not return them or even let me speak to them? I don't even know what to do. Please help??

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Mr. Ryan L Hyde

  • Exton , PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Unless you had court ordered custody there is nothing you can do. He is equally entitled to custody and he is exercising that right. So the police will not get involved. You should seek out a family attorney and discuss filing for custody/an emergency petition if it is appropriate.

Rebecca A Myers

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: you need to file for custody right away and file an emergency Motion for an interim custody order. You need to speak with an attorney right away. Without an Order of Court to the contrary, he is free to pick the children up or otherwise exercise custody of the children. You should retain a lawyer right away to address the situation though the Courts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.