Los Angeles, CA asked in Divorce for Utah

Q: What information do I need to provide the court to discontinue alimony now that I suspect my ex is cohabitating?

My ex wife's boyfriend is there everyday and receives mail at her address. Our divorce stipulation states that if she remarries or cohabitates then alimony discontinues. She denies to my daughter that he is living there despite him being there every day and night and moving out of his apartment.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Waldron
Paul Waldron

A: Under current Utah law regarding alimony and cohabitation, you likely have to prove that she is cohabiting "in a marriage-like relationship." If it is a Utah case, you should consult with a Utah lawyer and discuss the additional particular facts of your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.