Lincoln, NE asked in Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for Iowa

Q: Can I sue the hospital? In Iowa my husband of 6 years had an unexpected aortic aneurysm on the 28th of November 2016. I

Was made his POA while at the first hospital when he was still alert and aware. He was airlifted from Ne. To Trauma center in Iowa, rushed into immediate surgery, on COMPLETE life support with intubation,and no brain activity for 3 days.Upon my arrival back to the ICU on the 29th, I was met by 3 pt. Advocates whom escorted me out of his room into an office with security guard standing just outside the door, I was very confused and upset as they told me HE had changed the POA to his sister and mother and that I HAD to immediate leave hospital or bee arrested!! I was then REFUSED ANY INFORMATION on his condition. I suffered great depression, monetary loss and worst embarrassment. He finally was saved, and when extubated immediate asked for me. He stated very clearly that he DID NOT do such a thing. I was and Still am caring for him in ALL aspects of care,this is and always has been HIS WISHES. The women made a laughing stock of me and the embarrassment STILL continues.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: Assuming it can be proven it may constitute an intentional tort. Contact a member of the Iowa Assn for Justice who handles hospital responsibiltiy cases--they give free consults.

You'll want a copy of your husbands records. Without saying why, just ask for the records on a disc. If they say do you want paper say no, you understand if they keep records electronically (which all hospitals pretty much have to since the ACA came into being), they have to give you a copy. Again, don't get into why you want them. Just say for his further care.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.