Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Arkansas

Q: I have had a child in my care for the past 6 years. I am not the childs biological father, the child was removed by DHS.

Do I have any legal courses I can take to get visitation rights to this child or have him returned to my care? The mother volunrary placed him with me when he was 2 and he is now 8.

1 Lawyer Answer
Stefan K. McBride
Stefan K. McBride
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hope, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: To your question on visitation rights: You should be able to get court-ordered visitation because you have stood in loco parentis to the child. You may also be able to get custody or even adopt the child, depending on the particular facts of your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.