Ogden, UT asked in Landlord - Tenant for Utah

Q: The heat in my apartment bldg. has not worked since Oct. 2016, today is 1/21/17, still no heat.

My landlord is refusing to pay my $300 electric bill. Is he obligated to pay, since my oven is my only source of heat? The lease states he will provide heat.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Billie Crocker
Billie Crocker
  • Paris, ID
  • Licensed in Utah

A: A Utah landlord is legally required to keep rental premises livable under a legal doctrine called the “implied warranty of habitability.” If they don’t take care of important repairs, such as a broken heater, tenants in Utah may have several options, including the right to “repair and deduct” rent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.