Philadelphia, PA asked in Divorce for Pennsylvania

Q: Can I change the locks on the house so my husband can't come in?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Rebecca A Myers

  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: It depends. If you are co owners of the residence, the short answer is no. He has every bit as much right to be in the home as you do if you both own it. However, there is a right in PA to seek an order of exclusive possession which would bad him from entering the home and allow you to change the locks. However, a divorce complaint must be filed to request exclusive possession and that will impact other rights. You should consult with an attorney to find out how.

Clark Mitchell

  • Washington, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If one spouse leaves the house voluntarily or under Court Order, you may change the locks.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.