Asked in Sexual Harassment for Colorado

Q: Can I hold the military accountable for my rape?

Civilian victim or rape by a military officer on military property. Defendant killed himself 3 weeks prior to trial so military is dismissing all charges. Can I ask the military to pay for my PTSD treatment and missed work?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You will need to contact an attorney directly to see if there is a possibility. The chances are likely remote. First there is the issue of sovereign immunity and second you would need to show how the base/military assisted or fascinated the crime.

I know that it does not seem fair that simply because the accused died before trial (presumably because of his guilt), that he is de facto found innocent via a dismissal of charges. The military may have some resources for victims of a crime (at least that part is not in dispute...).

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.