Alexandria, VA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Pennsylvania

Q: I have retroactive arrears on child support but received notice of refund offset. Is this a mistake? I'm not delinquent.

My account is current, but I have retroactive arrears dating back to the submission of the complaint. Child support comes out of my paycheck twice a month, including extra to pay off the retroactive support. I was under the impression that my name would not be submitted to the IRS for a federal refund tax offset? The only support I owe is retroactive, not past due or delinquent. Hope someone can provide some input. Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Rebecca A Myers
Rebecca A Myers
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: While it really shouldn't be the case, even arrears due to retroactivity can trigger refund intercepts and other collection actions if the amount is high. You or your counsel should try contacting donestic relations to see why the intercept was issued and if there is anything that can be done under the circumstances

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.