Columbus, GA asked in DUI / DWI for Georgia

Q: I heard I will get a 10 day letter for a DUI. What does that mean?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
George Chadwell Creal Jr.
George Chadwell Creal Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: In Georgia, you don't get a 10 day letter, rather you have to send a letter requesting a hearing within 10 business days of your Georgia DUI arrest. If you do not send a 10 day letter requesting a hearing after your DUI arrest, your Georgia Driver's License or privilege to drive on the highways of Georgia will be administratively suspended for between 30 days or several years if a DDS form 1205 was issued. Sometimes you license will be administratively suspended without the ability to even get a permit to drive to work. You should quit guessing about DUI law and call a qualified DUI lawyer for a free consultation. Most lawyers will draft the letter for free, you will have to pay the $150 filing fee for sending the letter to the Georgia Department of Driver services.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.