Chicago, IL asked in Traffic Tickets for Illinois

Q: I am driving on a UK license in a rental car as a foreign student, will there be a record on my license or just a fine

This is in regards to speeding 10 mph over in a 30 zone in Cook County.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Brian Polinske

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Edwardsville, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: If you obtain a dismissal or court supervision on the offense you will not have a conviction. Fines and costs are normally imposed.

Jason A. Wilkins

  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Naperville, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Hello Asker,

The answer is probably but its REALLY unclear. So, when you get a traffic violation in one state, it is eventually reported on the National Database. That national database MAY be shared with the UK. It's really unclear because its an issue we don't normally have. What I can say is that we have had Canadian drivers who have been concerned about driving records in the states so there is a good chance it is shared across state lines.

In general, court supervision is not really helpful in this regard. In our experience, once a ticket goes across state lines, they don't seem to see a difference between court supervision and conviction. That said, the extra $35 in cook county is worth it for court supervision if there is a chance that it will reduce the impact.

Lastly, I would consider you speak to the DMV to see if you need to apply for a license. I'm not sure how the rules apply for studying abroad but if the secretary of state considers you a resident at this point, you may want to consider applying for an Illinois license because foreign licenses have limited duration IF you become a resident. I doubt it applies to you but I just wanted to let you since you are only a student rather than someone moving here permanently but I wanted to give you the heads up. Here are the exceptions for the requirements to get an Illinois license. My guess is you would not be considered a resident but I just wanted you to be aware that it MIGHT be relevant to you (again, its unlikely as the cop may have written a ticket otherwise).

Hope that helps and let us know if you have any other questions!

Jason A. Wilkins

Traffic Attorney

(630) 445-2293

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.