Lawrenceville, GA asked in Child Custody and Divorce for Georgia

Q: my wife is moving in with her boyfriend and wants to take the kids before the divorce is final. If its uncontest do i

have a say in where and when they go. And should i get my own lawyer if we are using mediation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tony A. Taylor
Tony A. Taylor
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You definitively have a say in your children's lives, especially if they are moving far away. If you don't want your kids to move but your wife wants to take the kids, then you disagree about the terms of custody and your divorce should be contested. Only If you both come to an agreement should you have an uncontested divorce. Child custody is always determined based what is in the best interest of your child. Trial Judges are given a lot of discretion in considering factors such as:

--Will you be able to maintain a full and continuous relationship with your child if they move away?

--What is the effect of the move on extended family relationships now and in the new location?

--Depending on your child's age, what do they want?

--Why does your wife want to move?

--How long has your child lived where they live now and how stable is the environment?

There are a really a lot more factors and it is best to talk to an attorney who can analyze your specific situation. Remember though, if you have an uncontested divorce without an attorney to represent your custody interest, you might be stuck with your decision for two years unless there is a change in circumstances after the divorce is final. Custody and visitation with your child is simply too important for you and your kids to just sign papers without advice from your own lawyer and not just a Mediator.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.