Denver, CO asked in Collections and Tax Law for Colorado

Q: I got a 1099 for a settlement i didn't get!! How do i look in to thid to find out what's going on?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: The 1099 should list the person/entity that submitted the 1099. Contact them to see if there was a clerical error. If there is an assertion that no error was made (and you can prove that you did not receive this compensation), you can file an appeal with the IRS or file a return expecting an audit (audits are not bad if the facts support your claims). You may want to contact a tax attorney (an accountant is also a less desirable, but cheaper, option).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.