Walnutport, PA asked in Civil Litigation, Divorce, Family Law and Elder Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Don't know my rights according to common law relationships.

I live in Pennsylvania, northampton county... I'm currently in a long term relationship (11 1/2 years). It has been extremely mentally abusive. I want out and am trying very hard to get out. However, he has always had the upperhand, and still does, to point that I look and at times act insane so my credibility looks iffy he uses that to his advantage. I'm doing my best w/o any support and no family... I am virtually alone. I am also very ill physically and mentally now. Long story short... it's his house with our things ...do I have a right to stay here until I can get out on my own? I currently have no other option, I'm working on that. I do not know what common law marriage rules apply to my situation. He often threatens to evict me ...I worry about that because I have no other options just yet and need some more time. I'll never know if he'll actually follow through until it's too late and the stress scares me. I don't know if this is considered my home too. I don't want anything.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lisa Marie Vari
Lisa Marie Vari
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Common law marriage was abolished in Pennsylvania in 2005. Marriages entered after January 2005, must have a marriage license and formal process.

Please feel free to read the information about common law marriage on my website. http://www.pafamilylawyers.com/Family-Laws-Overview/Divorce-Annulment.shtml

Lisa Marie Vari, Esquire


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.