Brooklyn, NY asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Probate for New York

Q: I won an arbitration award against my former attorney. He died 1 month later. Do I file a proceeding in probate court?

I know it has to be against his estate. Is this the right way to go? I don't have a judgement, just an award letter.

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • Probate Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If he has an estate open, you need to file a claim, which is done by sending your claim to the executor and filing it. Do this by delivery confirmation (certified, FedEx, etc.). However, there is a time limit to confirm an award for a judgment, so you need to file to make the deadlines.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.