Sioux City, IA asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Iowa

Q: My son is 15 and punched a kid in face for calling his friend the N word. Cop charged him with serious assault. what now

Cop brought my kid home said he was honest so he's not taking him to J.D. N citeing him for simple assault cause kid had bump above his eye. . 20 min later cop came back n said he made mistake n has to take him to station and charge him with serious assault. With him being athletic and baseball starts Monday I'm afraid he's going to get probation, anger management classes and community service. My kid is a great kid any other time just made a bad decision over kid running his mouth pushing his buttons. Now kid tried telling cop he was sitting on bench n my kid attacked him for no reason n cop seems to believe it. My kid would never do something like that. What's my options

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas A. Sarcone
Nicholas A. Sarcone
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Des Moines, IA
  • Licensed in Iowa

A: The case will likely be referred to juvenile court services. Juvenile court services has a number of options to keep him out of court or they can refer him to court for prosecution. You need to hire a lawyer and go over all the various possibilities and prepare yourself for the Juvenile Court Services meeting.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.