Lexington, KY asked in Probate for West Virginia

Q: My brother is not having the will probated after two months. I am watchdog in WV. How long do I have to wait or can I.

My mom told me in hospital he would leave me in the street and be careful so I have kept the original will. I called mom's lawyer and set it up. He has received much from my mom and now he is very upset mom willed me the house and part of another one. I tried to talk to him and he was very negative. He treated me very well and I thought I was finally going to have a relationship with him but he is in gpod financial shape. He keeps lying and now working to communicate. I am afraid he might make a fake will or something but I read I could do it myself after a period of time of 2 months for a simple will. He is all greed and him and my sister have received most. But it matters not I thought because it is what mother's will said done by a lawyer. She was smart. After her death I got a couple of calls from family and one from his own family where to find paper work on him. Shows everything from theft to non repayment of loans and a contract not being honored.

I took care of her. Help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ben F Meek III
Ben F Meek III
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK

A: If I have understand your question, your mom made a will and entrusted it to you to have it probated. You can present the will for probate yourself. Get an experienced probate lawyer to represent you. He or she can take all the heat off of you and keep anyone from running over you. If you live out of state, you can hire local counsel to serve as your agent. Contact several lawyers and hire the one you like best.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.