Baltimore, MD asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Wrongful Death for Pennsylvania

Q: My 17 year old daughter died of alcohol poisoning due to her boyfriend and his friend's negligence. In Lycoming County.

They were at her boyfriends friends Aunts home. I need help filing a claim and dont know where to start or what to file? We are Maryland residents as was my daughter however her death and the crimes occurred in PA. I was told I could file a claim against the home owners insurance of the residence she was at when she died as well as sue the responsible parties involved?

2 Lawyer Answers
Eric Todd Kirk
Eric Todd Kirk pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Baltimore, MD

A: I am saddened to hear of your loss. These are tragic circumstances. There are many variables in this situation, jurisdiction being only one of many. I would urge you to promptly consult with an experienced personal injury attorney to review the facts in detail, and render an informed opinion for you and your family. Best of luck.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Contact attorney Clifford Rieders in Williamsport. Use my name--he'll give you a free consult. A lot depends on the facts as to who you get to sue, but yes, you would have a case. However, let me note that as she was 17 a jury will consider whether someone that age is close to an adult enough that there is an element on her part of contributory fault. If she had had a dui or possession charge and been through education programs she would know for sure what consitutes intoxication.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.