Asked in Adoption for Georgia

Q: I have 100 percent full custudy of my 16 year old daughter me andher step mom wants her to adopt her how do we do so.

My dsughter will be 17,within a week from to today her birth mother hasnt seen or contacted us in over 10 years iv remarried when she was 7 shes always referred to my wife as her mother we dont treat it any different except it being legal on paper what are the steps to do so here in ga

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Lehman
Brian Lehman

A: Here are some sources that may help you:

Short answer: "After parental rights have been terminated for the biological parent, the stepparent must petition Georgia court in order to adopt the stepchild or stepchildren. The action must arise in Georgia if that is the state the child lives in."

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.