Richmond Hill, NY asked in Adoption for New York

Q: which home should I do my adoption home study? how do I explain to my social work why my gf and her kids live in myhome?

i am a 42 yr old single male in Ny & live with my 52 year old girlfriend and her 2 adult kids in my new house which is in my name ,which i bought in may 2015.I did not switch my old mailing address,driver license however I do get utility bills in my name in my new home address. in 2008 after mate spanked her youngest son with a belt, she was arrested with a charge of child abuse. I know I cannot adopt a child if you have any adult who lives in the house who has child abuse record. 1)should I do my home study in my old address where my mother and bother live? 2)will social worker ask why I own house I do not live in? 3)I would like to go thru foster care but someone advised me not because foster care would figure out I am hiding my mate and suggested I go thru private agency adoption where I can choose my own social worker to do the home study and they might be more lenient. 4) any way I can do the social worker home study in my new home?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Licensed in New York

A: It's not clear whether you're asking advice on how to cheat the system, but if so that's a bad idea because you may be charged with a crime if you try to defraud the system. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.