Santa Fe, NM asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for New Mexico

Q: Hi my question is: How do I go about having custody of my son 50/50?

My sons mother has full custody and I want to know how to get him 50/50. We already went to court and all she requested was money. She doesn't want him to have my last name and she said I have never given her money since he was born. She was 14 and I was 16 when we had him. We lived with my parents for a while until she decided to move back with her parents. I also want to know what I can do about my child support payment because I am getting married and I have another son with my soon to be wife. I got a letter in the mail stating my first son doesn't have medicare or any type of insurance. I asked his mom and she didn't say anything. I also have way more questions regarding the well being of my son because his mom works two jobs and I would like to know who he stays with, etc. When I request to see him she doesn't reply. And the only time she tells me anything is when I tell her the money has been dropped off at the child support office.

1 Lawyer Answer
Gary William Boyle
Gary William Boyle
  • Santa Fe, NM
  • Licensed in New Mexico

A: You would have to file a motion with the Court asking the Court to award you time with your child. The Court will take into account everything that is relevant.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.