Elmhurst, IL asked in Adoption and Family Law for Indiana

Q: My soon to be husband wants to adopt my 4 month old daughter. Can the father give up his rights.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Congratulations on your future nuptials. After you are legally married, your new husband can adopt your 4 month old daughter. The biological father can give up his rights by consenting to the adoption or refusing to contest the adoption.

It can be much more complicated than that if the biological father chooses to contest the adoption.

However, there are also certain instances where the biological father does not have to consent, such as when the biological father has abandoned the child for 6 months, not communicated with the child for 1 year or failed to pay child support for a similar period of time despite being ordered to. Consent may also not be required if the biological father is mentally unfit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.