Orlando, FL asked in Child Custody for Georgia

Q: My child mother died last week. I have signed PA form n my name on birth certificate can u help me get legitimized

I had my daughter with me when her mother died. Makayla's mom came n asked for overnight but never brought my daughter back. She hasn't answered phone. I am active in my daughter n we both are grieving. I want custody

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I'm sorry for your loss. You need to file a legitimation case in your county, and serve the grandmother. You should have no problem getting legitimation and custody, as long as you have been an active part of your daughter's life.

Samantha A Holloway agrees with this answer

Samantha A Holloway
Samantha A Holloway pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I agree with the previous answer. I'll add the following:

- the clerk's office should have sample forms for you to complete if you are unable to afford an attorney or wish to proceed without one; and

-make sure to attached the Paternity Acknowledgement form to the forms that you file as an exhibit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.