Salt Lake City, UT asked in Criminal Law and Immigration Law for Utah

Q: Will Felony Failure to Appear for fingerprintable charge will give me problems with immigration in a green card replacem

I was arrested and charged with a Felony Failure to Appear for fingerprintable charge (statute 17-6-12 GA) for not attending a hearing where I was supposed to show that I had received medical attention for a diagnosis given by a court appointed doctor in a case with felonies. The felonies were dismissed. I signed a plea deal for misdemeanor disorderly conduct. I've read that if you are convicted of an offense relating to a failure to appear before a court pursuant to a court order to answer to or dispose of a charge of a felony for which a sentence of 2 years' imprisonment or more may be imposed, that charge will be categorized as an aggravated felony for immigration purposes. In my case I never had to plea guilty or was told that I was guilty of that charge or attended any hearings related to it. I was arrested due to a bench warrant and held in jail until my main case was resolved. I don't have a failure to appear final disposition for that charge either.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Aric M. Cramer
Aric M. Cramer
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • St. George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: This is an immigration issue, so I would have you contact an immigration attorney. Sorry I can't help you on this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.