Evansville, IN asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Indiana

Q: I have fought for custody with my ex and his wife for 5 years. I pay over$1000 a month. I need to sign over rights.

I have a third child and his father hasn't worked in over 2 years so doesn't pay support. I can't properly support him. I also barely have a relationship with my older 2 and feel like they would be better off not feeling the struggle anymore. How should I approach this? I lost my attorney a year ago b/c I can't afford to pay her anymore.

1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko
  • Plymouth, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: You can contact your ex's attorney if you are now pro se, and tell him or her that you are giving up the custody battle. I am sure that the other attorney will be happy to draft the necessary paperwork. Be very aware that the other attorney is not representing you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.