Montrose, CO asked in Family Law, Contracts and Elder Law for Colorado

Q: Re: Filial Law. Parent (ill) they live in CA, I live CO can siblings sue for financial support they are giving parents.

I was raised much differently than siblings, I suffered physical, emotional abuse from both parents. I was treated out of sight out of mind. Moved to CO @ age 18. 1977. Had no communication for 25 years with parents and several family members. After death of family member in 2006 attempted to reconnect. Very limited Now father is ill. Siblings are paying for their health insurance ($900) and apartment ($1300) near Cancer treatment center, ($400) Auto payment.They threatened to sue me for 1/3 a portion of financial aid they OFFERED NOT ME. I was not given any financial support, My parents nor siblings came to my wedding or acknowledged any of mine or "My" families life experiences and accomplishments EVER! Can they sue me for any of this money?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Based on your facts, no.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.