Matawan, NJ asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Family Law for Indiana

Q: Relocating out of state with daughter. If dad appeals, will it drag out the process if I need to move by a certain day?

He has supposed to have been paying child support since January but he hasn't paid anything yet and now has a court date set for May 10th because of it. He gets 90 overnights and we have agreed on everything thus far. We have not discussed this relocation with him but my current wife and I want to relocate for better jobs and environment. If myself (the current husband) moves down there to get a job, and she plans on moving down shortly after, can her dad drag out the process and force us to stay if he appeals and the court hasn't finished deciding?

1 Lawyer Answer
Erik Carter
Erik Carter
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Noblesville, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: This is not an appellate question, it is a custody/relocation question. Indiana Code 31-17-2.2-1 et seq. covers the notice requirements for a relocating parent and the options available to the non-relocating parent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.