Milwaukee, WI asked in Family Law, Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Wisconsin

Q: Can a family member compel me to share a recording of a private conversation with a now deceased family member?

I have an audio recording of a private conversation with my father, shortly before his passing several years ago. This conversation contains content that may be embarrassing to me. Another family member would like to compel me to share that recording and is threatening to take legal action. Can they do this in the State of Wisconsin?

1 Lawyer Answer
William F Sulton
William F Sulton
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Milwaukee, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: Maybe. If the recording concerns the estate, it is probably discoverable. If not, then probably not. You can have the judge review the recording in camera (that means outside the presence of the parties to the case). That will solve the embarrassment concerns you have.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.