Blytheville, AR asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Arkansas

Q: Want to move in with my bf, but my ex said he would file for full custody even if we marry. We have one 4 y.o. child.

I live in Marion, Arkansas and am wishing to relocate to Braden, TN. with my boyfriend, which is just outside of Memphis. It's a 50 mile relocation and there is nothing in the papers stating that cannot happen. There are many reasons why this move makes sense. I have discussed with my ex and have told him that I would be willing to wait until marriage to move in with my boyfriend, but he doesn't want to share joint custody because of the distance. How do I ensure he doesn't get full custody? We are both good parents, and I don't think the drive is too far. Something would have to be figured out with school, though. I had full custody until June 2016, when we both decided that because we lived so close together, joint custody would be manageable and best for our son.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stefan K. McBride
Stefan K. McBride
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hope, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: If you have true joint physical custody, you will not automatically be able to relocate. Instead, you'll have to show that it is in the children's best interests. You are definitely going to need to hire a lawyer for this issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.