Brownsburg, IN asked in Education Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Indiana

Q: What can be done about my son feeling intimidated and anxious by a teacher that violated another students rights?

The teacher stopped the class and berated a student for not reciting the Pledge of Allegiance for about 20 min. Then punished him by not allowing him to participate in class. My husband was raised as a Jehovah's Witness. My son feels like he must say it or be ridiculed. It caused anxiety along with other stressful actions by teachers, that led up to him having panic attacks and sleep disturbances. He now takes medication for all the stress at school. He had straight A's-A+'s until this year. He is also a NJHS member. But feels unsupported at school, and often complains at home.

1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Plymouth, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: If you have complaints about a public school teacher, take it up with the school board.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.