Sioux Falls, SD asked in Bankruptcy for South Dakota

Q: My lawyer retired without finishing my bankruptcy case. How do I get a hold of a certified copy of the dismissal form?

I live in Worthing, SD but I filed it before I moved from Spearfish, SD. I was told to mail the application for bankruptcy release to the Clerk of Courts in Lawrence County in Deadwood, SD. The said to complete it I need to have a certified copy of my bankruptcy dismissal. The employee will not tell me how to get a copy. She said "ask an attorney". I already paid one attorney for it and I don't want to pay again. So, I just need to know where I can get it so I can mail it to them and finish this process.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ray Choudhry
Ray Choudhry
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Moline, IL

A: Your question doesn't make sense. Once a lawyer files your bankruptcy case, he is stuck with you until he officially withdraws from the case or the case is dismissed or discharged.

He can't just retire and walk away.

Anyway, assuming your case is dismissed, you need to contact the Clerk of Bankruptcy Court where your bankruptcy case was filed.

That Clerk will tell you what you have to do to get a copy of the Order of Dismissal.

It's entirely possible your case was processed and your got a discharge.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.