Chicago, IL asked in DUI / DWI for Illinois

Q: I'd like to report my underage kid who was driving while he was drunk -- is that possible?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jeremy W. Sackett
Jeremy W. Sackett
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Edwardsville, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Delayed reporting of a crime greatly reduces the chances and/or success of prosecution. This is especially true of DUI. Without knowing more details I would say it would be a waste of time to report. Please note that a criminal charge of DUI would have lifelong consequences for your child. In the short term it would greatly impede his/her ability to drive, but in the long term it would most likely cost your child opportunities. That is not a decision a parent should make lightly, and I would highly recommend some soul searching before making that call.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.