Floral Park, NY asked in Immigration Law for New York

Q: i am a permanent resident since nov 1986, married to citizen for almost 4 years. I want to apply for n400 however

i got fingerprinted thru morphotrust and received unsuprressed criminal records, i have one misdemeanor conviction from nov 2011. will i be approved?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Caraccio
Joseph Caraccio
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Glen Cove, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: There is a five-year lookback period for good moral character and if you apply as the spouse of US citizen it is only a three-year lookback period. However, a criminal conviction outside of the look-back period could still have an impact on your case depending on the charge. I would not file an N-400 without consulting an attorney regarding the immigration consequences of your 2011 conviction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.