Denver, CO asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI, Appeals / Appellate Law and Domestic Violence for Colorado

Q: I have a question about my legal name on my birth certificate not matching what's in the state database

I have a couple of criminal convictions. I'm seeing my name in the state data base doesn't match my birth certificate. Just curious as to if I can get them expunged from my record on a technicality

1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: No, a difference in name will not allow you to seal a conviction. Many convictions in Colorado can be sealed, but the requirements always related to a certain number of years of conviction-free conduct (the number or years required to pass varies by the severity of the crime). If these are traffic offenses, they cannot be sealed in Colorado.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.