Winter Springs, FL asked in Military Law and Health Care Law for Florida

Q: Boyfriend misdiagnosed with autism as a young child wants to join military, any way to remove diagnosis from records?

He was misdiagnosed when he was 13, and was really only diagnosed so his family could receive the scholarships. Unfortunately, this disqualifies him from the military, which has been his dream all his life. The doctor who misdiagnosed him is most likely not practicing anymore, and it would be almost impossible to find her. He has never shown any signs of autism back then nor recently, along with being approved by other doctors that he does not have autism. He believes that it's rather hopeless, and that he'll never be able to achieve his dream of being in the military. Is there any way to remove the misdiagnosis from his records so that he can get into the military?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: What he needs, in my opinion, is a letter from a doctor, preferably a specialist in the field of autism, to the effect that the previous diagnosis was erroneous, and hopefully explaining why.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.