Portland, OR asked in Animal / Dog Law for Oregon

Q: Left my cat with sitter, she let him out, didn't look for him and didn't tell us for 4 days. What is my legal recourse?

She was repeatedly told to make sure the door was closed, she also never cleaned their water. We've spent almost $2000 between flight changes back from Eurpoe, losing out on our last hotel nights that were already paid for, treats, motion sensor cameras, traps, and a professional pet tracker. Can I sue to recover these costs? No contract, no company, just a lady recommended by someone else.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennie Lynn Clark
Jennie Lynn Clark
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: If you paid her for her services and she has assets, such as real property, it might be worth it to sue for breach of contract and negligence and collect damages. If she has no money, it would be a waste of time and money from a business perspective to go after her. There would have to be an analysis regarding which of your damages are actually recoverable as well. Our firm sometimes, drafts a demand on an hourly basis for these sorts of cases with the threat of attorney fees under ORS 20.080 or ORS 20.082 if a lawsuit must be filed. Of course litigation has its risks.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.