Atlanta, GA asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Civil Litigation for Georgia

Q: There was a false police report made about me and I have proof. What do I do as far as pressing charges?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kelly Case
Kelly Case
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I am not sure what type of case you think you may have or what you would be "pressing charges" for. It is doubtful the police would do anything with this and no crime has been committed. You may have a slander claim, but those are extremely difficult to prove and bring to a jury and would cost a fortune to pursue. You can meet with the law enforcement in your area and bring them your proof. It never hurts to ask but I rally do not think there is anything to pursue here.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.