Provo, UT asked in Elder Law for Utah

Q: My mother refuses care from a medical doctor and instead is getting treated by a "healer"

- is there a way to report this so we can get her the medical attention she needs?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: I am not sure what a "healer" is. If the "healer" is practicing medicine as defined by the Utah Medical Practice act and isn't licensed to do so, then you can report them. But if they are not claiming to be a licensed physician and are not operating on them or anything, then I am not sure you can do much unless you have a guardianship over her.

Relevant statute:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.