Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Georgia

Q: How do I get my son back?

I had a son who I let go visit his father...his father is not on his birth certificate. He up and took off across the country to Wyoming with him and refuses to bring him home. There is no established custody agreement. I keep asking him to bring him home. He keeps putting it off telling me when he has time off. I keep scheduling to pick him up and he won't tell me where he is and changes it so I can't get him. I don't know what to do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kelly Case
Kelly Case
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: My first question is whether you have filed a police report? This is not the usual situation of the non-custodial parent keeping the child an hour or two over the visitation time frame. If your son has been taken out of the State and you have no idea of his whereabouts, this is an emergency situation that you need to notify the police about immediately. Hire a lawyer right away to get an immediate TRO in place.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.