Asked in Child Support for Colorado

Q: If my child will be 19 on July 5th and he took a year off from college but plans on attending before child support end

Does my ex still owe child support until he's done with school or 21 whichever comes first?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Support orders entered after 1991 in Colorado end on emancipation (which is usually 19). The emancipation can be extended to 21 if the child remains in high school (not post-secondary education). Note, emancipation for support consideration is not the same as legal majority (which is 18 in Colorado). Review the support agreement because terms can be modified to cover post-secondary education.

John Hyland Barrett III agrees with this answer

Carolyn Moller Duncan
Carolyn Moller Duncan
  • Centennial, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Under Colorado law, child support terminates upon a child reaching the age of 19 unless they fall within certain exceptions which are (1) parties agreed otherwise in writing, (2) the child is mentally or physically disable, (3) the child is still in high school at the time he turns 19, then it terminates at the end of the month of graduation.

Unfortunately, without having an agreement in place regard payment beyond the 19th birthday, you can expect that it will terminate on his birthday.

If you would like to discuss your situation, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Carolyn Duncan, Carolyn Moller Duncan, P.C.

Phone No: 303-394-2358


Response to this question does not create an attorney/client relationship. Information provided in this message is general in nature and is not to be construed as legal advice or direction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.