Albuquerque, NM asked in Family Law for New Mexico

Q: How do I stop perusing child support? We have came to an agreement on the issue, it hasnt gone to court. Thanks Jennifer

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gary William Boyle
Gary William Boyle
  • Santa Fe, NM
  • Licensed in New Mexico

A: You should get the Court's approval before you change child support payments. If you agree on the new child support amount, you can submit a stipulated order to the Court. You will both need to sign the stipulated order and the order should provide for the new child support amount and should provide the Court with the facts that the Court would require to determine child support. That would include both parties' incomes and the amount of any of the child's special expenses that are authorized for consideration in the child support worksheets. It would also be best to include a child support worksheet. If the amount on which you have agreed is the same amount that appears on the worksheet, you should say so in the stipulated order. If the amounts are not the same, you should include a good reason for the difference between the worksheet and the amount on which you have agreed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.