Rison, AR asked in Estate Planning for Arkansas

Q: Is there any way to make a dynasty trust good for only the oldest child born?

I have a good amount of land and do not want it split up and sold off, I want to keep it together. Is absolute primogeniture an option when setting up a dynastic trust?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Kenneth V Zichi

  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Howell, MI

A: There are ALL KINDS of alligators wading in the swamp you're discussing. GENERALLY you can make a trust to benefit as few or as many people as you want. But while that may be the short answer to your question, it misses the complications that may make any trust you create invalid or subject to challenge.

One of the big myths is that trusts can't be challenged like wills can. Sorry, but that is wrong.

Similarly, there are rules that need to be followed for a trust to be enforceable!

For example, while Arkansas is one of the states that has adopted the Uniform Statutory Rule Against Perpetuities which provides some cover, the terms of that statute need to be considered in drafting documents meant to be enforced there (you don't say but I assume that is where the land in question is located).

In short, seek local legal help and you can discuss what you want to do, the pros and cons of the plan you propose and then insure the documents you get work the way you expect!

-- This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice

1 user found this answer helpful

Brandon M Haubert

  • North Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: You can make whomever you want the beneficiary or trustee. If you just want the oldest child to inherit, that is fine and you can put language in there to that effect. Make sure you are creating a trust that effectuates what you want. Do not leave it to the oldest child because "they know what to do with it."

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.