Fort Mill, SC asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Georgia

Q: I have a custody evaluation that was done in Augusta, GA that I disagree with. What can I do?

The evaluator did the MCII and PAI and finds them both invalid, but takes a binder full of facebook posts my ex handed to him saying, "Yes, she made all these", and, without any attempt at independent verification, incorporates them into his attempted diagnoses as anywhere from bipolar to schizophrenic (he also ignores the fact that posts detailing my ex-husband's abuse outweigh "concerning" posts 10 to 1), along with my ex's testimony, which constantly contradicts itself. He also claims there is no basis for claims that the ex abused me, in spite of a previous arrest.

What can I do? Can I appeal the evaluation or have it reviewed by another court? If so, is there a time frame from the date I was given the evaluation? Or must I file for custody and start the case all over, and pay for another evaluation?

Is there any way to have the court order my ex to be present for the evaluation, or to allow my child to be present for it? Without filing for another custody hearing?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kelly Case
Kelly Case
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: These are all questions that you should be directing to your lawyer. As the person most familiar with your case, your lawyer is the first person to go to with these types of questions. If you do not have a lawyer, then it would be a good idea to hire one . . . a very good one, right away. Without know what the evaluator reviewed specifically, and what the testimony was at the hearing, it is impossible to give you an answer as to how to proceed. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.